Set in the Darenth Valley, the rare surviving chapel is the only remaining structure of the Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers of the Order of St John of Jerusalem formed in 1113. The chapel is adjacent to a now privately occupied and much altered house, dating from the 16th century. The preceptory is thought to have gone out of use by 1338, after which time it was used as a residence. Among its later occupants were Abraham Hill, a founder of the Royal Society, and the historian Edward Hasted. The chapel and tranquil gardens are surrounded by a moat, one arm of which is the River Darenth. Please note that this property is occupied as a private residence and is maintained and managed by a tenant on our behalf. Visitors have access to the chapel and the gardens only.
© 2000 - 2017 — local.angle group, All rights reserved.lightweight